Early and Natural or On-Time/Late and C-Section?

21 Jan

I still cannot comment on blogspot. Correction: only on captcha-protected blogs. I have no idea what the problem is, but it just won’t let me publish, which is extremely frustrating. Things are happening – people are reaching their EDDs, people are re-looking their life attitudes and need supports, etc., etc. – and I cannot say a word to them. ARGH!

Hopefully this will go away soon.

As to me, I need to talk to my OB. If we find out that the baby is really, really big during my Tuesday ultrasound, what is best for the baby? Get me induced and get him delivered earlier (but vaginally) or let him be and deliver him whenever he’s ready – which probably will be through a c-section due to his size?

Well, perhaps I am getting worried too early – maybe the ultrasound will show that he’s not all that big. Maybe. But what if? What’s better for him? Safer?


6 Responses to “Early and Natural or On-Time/Late and C-Section?”

  1. China Doll January 22, 2012 at 12:18 AM #

    One thing to consider… A high proportion of inductions lead to further interventions and c-sections, so might be worth asking your OB about the statistics at your hospital 🙂

    • zygotta January 22, 2012 at 7:10 AM #

      Good point – they actually mentioned this in the prenatal classes )which we took at our hospital)

      Even more to discuss once we know the baby’s size…

  2. Jess January 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM #

    Ditto China Doll…I know quite a few women who were induced and ended up with c-sections, because the body was just not ready to deliver and contractions caused the baby to go into distress (not a huge issue). One of the things I learned about delivery is you never know what could happen, and the best laid plans are not always an option.

    As to your question about a book: My favorite series is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. They don’t fit perfectly into an one genre, but are awesome!

    • zygotta January 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM #

      Alright, so I should wait and see what the ultrasound shows and then hear what the doctor says. Maybe I’m panicking ahead of time. Maybe he’s not THAT big. I am only 38 weeks, after all…

  3. Sam January 23, 2012 at 5:02 AM #

    I would let your Obgyn guide you on this one. After all you had to go thru to get him in there does it *really* matter overmuch how he comes out – as long as which ever way he comes out is safe and he’s healthy?

    I wanted a vaginal delivery – went into early labour (Kade was measuring at 4.2 at my 37 week scan) at 37.5 weeks, ended up with an emergency c section cos of my BP that sky rocketed and all that mattered in the end was that after 7 years of IF and 6 IVF’s I was finally holding my little boy in my arms… (he was 3.8 at birth btw so scans can be a bit out especially if the babies are bigger)


    • zygotta January 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM #

      No, the most important thing is for him to be safe and in good health. So I wondered which way is best for him to be in good health.

      I guess people telling me that induction often leads to baby distress – is a good enough indicator that maybe I should let him stay until he’s ready. If then it has to be a c-section, so be it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: