Going transatlantic. Part 3.

10 Aug

Timothy was whining all the way to my parents’ house. I read that generally babies adjust very easily to new time zones: they sleep when it’s dark, so I put him to bed around 10 pm (Moscow is so far north that it gets dark very late in summer). I went to bed around midnight and, despite the sleepless previous night, I wasn’t sleep at all: it was 4 pm Toronto time, not the time to sleep at all.

I was in bed next to Timothy’s crib, and he was very restless – waking up, whining through sleep, crying. I nursed him around 6 am and then we fell asleep in my bed (I finally got some sleep).

He woke me up a couple of hours later (and that was all the sleep I got that night). He was so hot I immediately went looking for my mom, to ask for a thermometer. Timothy was looking pretty lifeless, there was a… sort of fear and lack of understanding what’s going on with him. I have never seen my baby so passive.

He had a 38.1 fever.

I got scared and we called the doctor. By the time they arrived, his fever was down to 37.6. The doctor said his throat was fine, his stomach was fine, and the fever too low to give medication – better to let him fight whatever it was.

Timothy was weak and whining all day long, but his fever was  gone by the end of the day – only to be replaced by screaming fits. He was obviously teething. He was chewing on everything, crying… I gave him baby advil drops and he had a good 2-hour nap. I gave him more before bed and then more when he woke up, screaming, in the middle of the night.

He woke up fine. No teething, no fever, no nothing. After that, he’s been back to his usual sunny self.

And yes, he sleeps during the nights – he almost didn’t notice the 8-hour time shift. Although the fever might be attributed to the long flight – who knows?..

Me, on the other hand, is a different story. I didn’t sleep that first night when he was whining, I slept the third night with exhaustion, and then didn’t sleep until 5 am, and then slept, and then didn’t… I am all over the place. And then yesterday I got sore throat and a 38.4 fever :/

The fever is gone now, but I am still very weak and my throat is killing me.

But, you know, my parents are so, so happy to see us all…


2 Responses to “Going transatlantic. Part 3.”

  1. Mrs FF August 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM #

    Hope you are feeling better? And you throat? SORRY

    • zygotta August 13, 2012 at 5:44 AM #

      Yes, I am better, thank you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: